Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Monday, November 30, 2009

MUST HAVE: Windows Home Server

Do you have more than one PC or Laptop in your home? Would you like a better way to make sure your computer data is backed up? If you answered yes then like me you want a Windows Home Server for your home network.

Last month, I finally decided that a Home Server system would be a good choice for me. After some serious research, I went ahead and purchased a HP EX490 1TB Mediasmart Home Server . At the time it was $500 but can now be had for $469 USD. I also added some drive space with an extra Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive for only $90.

hpmediasmart harddrive

HP Mediasmart Home Server

I can’t believe I waited so long before picking up this essential device for any home network. Designed as a single device to stream your music, videos and photos the Mediasmart Home Server has a variety of cool functions. For me the single feature which backs up all my computers was well worth the cost. When I first set up the Windows Home Server I had it back up all my home computers which took the better part of the day. Now, it backs up every system in 5-10 minutes and only stores what has changed. Everything is done without any intervention and alerts me only if an error occurs.

If I sound excited it’s because I am. I’m sure, I’m not the only one with 2+ computers at home and this is a must have addition to any home network. For more information on the power and features of the Windows Home Servers check out Microsoft’s Windows Home Server page.

I recommend highly that you add a Windows Home Server to your holiday wish list. This month keep your eyes out for special savings. Today on Twitter I read that Amazon has a HP LX195 MediaSmart Home Server with a 640 GB hard drive on sale for $199 USD. This smaller unit doesn't have room for more internal storage but includes 4 USB ports to easily add more space. If you’ve ever had a hard drive failure and/or looked at the costs of disk recovery you’ll want to order one today.

Full disclosure: As an affiliate of Amazon I do receive a commission if anyone uses the links above to make a purchase. I feel it’s important to disclose because that’s the kind of guy I am. I do hope it won’t diminish my message because I do believe you all should have a Windows Home Server. You won’t regret it. ;)

Share on Facebook


8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Bill, I love your honesty and candor.

Your writing style is OK to.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Coincidentally, at the Windows Home Server Blog: Windows Home Server Holiday discounts!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Big Geek Daddy said...

Bill,

This is cool but it's a pretty expensive way to backup data for a home computer user and it has one major flaw. I'm assuming this is in your home so what's your plan if your house burns down or is otherwise destroyed in a natural disaster? If you're not already you should consider online backup for your really important files like pictures and legal documents.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Big Geek Daddy makes a great point. This is only one step in making your data secure. I suspect most people don't take the step to backup their data to a 2nd location that is safe from fire.

In my situation I do have a fire proof/media protected safe in my house. I back photos up and put them into this media protected box. In the past, it would take about 15 DVD's to back up all my photos. Since the Windows Home Server compresses the backups I'm not able to copy over the backup much quicker and with fewer DVDs.

Thanks for mentioning it.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bill, with all do respect...your third sentence should be..."If you answered yes, then like me, you want a Windows Home Server for your home network".
The misuse of then and than is a definite problem for me.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bob thank you for taking the time to let me know. I'm correctly embarrassed and have fixed the error.

Thanks again!
Bill

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

If that's your home in the Droid test photos, I have to say I really admire your oven/range. Has that been upgraded or modernized for more efficiency? (Or does it need it?) Do you know approximately what year it was produced? Thanks!
Mike in Orange, California, USA

1:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mike,
Yes it's an original Chambers 1930's era stove. I actually had one growing up but this one belonged to my wife's grandmother.
It has some great features and still works like new.

When we first moved into this house I was trying to set up a satellite dish and couldn't figure out why the compass wasn't working. Then I realized with all the iron in the stove the compass kept pointing to the kitchen. :)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home