Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Sunday, May 25, 2008

TiVo Beacon Error 1359 Caused by Xobni

There’s a new add-on for Microsoft Outlook which I was really starting to love. After the beta for Xobni was recommended on Twitter I thought I’d check it out and it soon became a very useful tool in managing the large volume of Email I receive.


Xobni has some great features like extracting phone numbers automatically from Emails. It gives you immediate access to previous Email conversations. It also connects people on the CC lists so it helps create a social friends network within Outlook. Since I personally handle all our support Email Xobni became an immediate time saver for me.


Xobni add on for Outlook


Here’s the Problem
Normally, I can view photos and listen to music located on my computer on my TV thanks to TiVo Desktop Software(formerly called TiVoToGo). Viewing photos is just one of the many cool features that integrate all my TV’s with my PC. Last week when I went to look at some Memorial Day Parade photos they weren’t there.


TiVo Beacon Service not found
The Beacon service is required to access music and photos via TiVo


Error 1359 while trying to start the TiVo Beacon Service
This occurred when trying to restart the TiVo Beacon Service


After spending hours trying to find out why my TiVo Service broke I finally narrowed it down to Xobni. It didn’t make any sense but according to my WinPatrol “First Detected” column, Xobni was the only new change to my system.


WinPatrol First Detected Xobni


Sure enough, removing Xobni fixed the problem. If you don’t have TiVo I can still recommend Xobni even though I have no idea why it would affect my TiVo Server. In a home with five TiVo’s, the TiVo service takes priority but if Xobni ever finds the problem I’ll definitely reinstall their Outlook Plug-In.

Update: While I found messages in the Xobni forums dating back to Feb it appears my new best friend, Greg Duffy at Xobni has found the solution. Greg left a link in our comments but I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.
http://community.xobni.com/showthread.php?t=153


Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


5 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Five Tivos Bill?? LOL

How do you find time to watch all that you're recording? And then have any time to do anything else?

Too funny...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I actually recounted and realized I was wrong.

We have six.:)

Plus, one TimeWarner DVR

Did I once say I was an info junkie?

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the informative post! I experienced the same Tivo Beacon Error after installing Xobni. I had no idea Xobni caused the Tivo Beacon error!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

I've posted a solution for this at http://community.xobni.com/showthread.php?t=153

Let me know there if it works for you!

Thanks,
Greg from Xobni

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greg,

You're the man. There's just no reason I can imagine why TiVo beacon is even parsing the Uninstall registry but apparently your fix works.

I give you a lot of credit for your finding this solution and will be happy to continue my use and promotion of your fantastic Xobni program.

Bill

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home