Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Anti-Spyware Coalition Still Alive

Later this month, I will be getting together in our nations capital with a number of our friends to discuss that state of spyware. The Anti-Spyware Coalition is holding the event which will consist of various moderated panels.

  • User Behavior and Spyware

  • Anti-Spyware Liability

  • Is Adware Dead?

  • CSI Spyware: Can Investigators Stay Ahead of the Bad Guys?

  • Education: What Works and What Doesn’t?

The event is open to the public but a $250 admission fee is required unless you’re connected to the government or educational institution. For more information go to http://antispywarecoalition.org/events/jan2008.php


I’ve attended a number of events like this in the past and they’ve all been extremely successful. While the panels can be informative the behind the scenes dinners and informal meetings really make a difference. Every time I’ve gotten together with other good guys it has resulted in an avalanche of information sharing. It also motivates me to get off my butt and continue to make a difference. I’ve been trying to come up with the next big change to WinPatrol and I suspect this meeting will spark an idea.

I’ve posted photos and made mention here of half the planned panel members. There are a few I haven’t met in person yet so I’m really looking forward to this months event. You can click the link above to get a list of who will be participating.


Other references:

CSI Spyware: Better than the TV Show (PaperGhost)
Antispyware Coalition: The History and Future of Spyware (Donna)
Save the date: Anti-Spyware Coalition public workshop (stopBADware.org)

Labels: , , ,

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Blogger douchrti said...

I was just thinking about you Bill.
Great Post, I was wondering if I need to get WinPatrol to use on my new Lappie. It came with Vista.
Yeah, $250 is too much for me just after the Holidays. Have a good time.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to meeting you at the ASC conference, Bill. It'll be my first.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have WinPatrol Plus and it has antispyware capabilities. How does this compare with a product like Threatfire which allegedly protects against all "zero-day" attacks. I'd love to get rid of this (or other) layers of my security mountain. (I use Threatfire, WinPatrol Plus, Comodo Firewall, and Avast, plus McAfee Safety Advisor as a Firefox extension).

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Hatespies,

I'm sorry that I don't really know much about Threatfire and what it does or doesn't protect.

I never recommend just using one solution these days. Like you I use a firewall and a web advisor program along with WinPatrol and every once in a while I'll run a virus scanner to check my hard drive.

I try not to run anything that gobbles up too many resources on a regular basis.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home